Friday, November 6, 2009

The Internet! Friday, 30 October 2009

Things take forever here. So my question Friday was, would it really be possible for me to get Internet by the end of the day?

I have a full day of classes on Friday (not as bad as Valerie's worst days, however), which made it somewhat easy not to harass the IT guy about when he might be able to install my modem. Finally, around 5, he said we could leave now. I got Sophia and we took the bus to our place. Then he set about to installing/setting up the modem. Although the modem came with instructions in Russian, on screen all the instructions were in English, so I thought, hey, maybe I could have done this!

Before I knew it, I had password-protected, wireless, DSL internet connection in my place. Hooray! Sophia can watch You Tube while I do facebook! We can finally watch "AppleMan" in English and I can look it up on the Internet--it is made in Iceland, it's called "Lazytown," and it is designed to teach healthy habits to 4 - 7 year olds.

You Tube is somewhat slow, and I can't exactly stand watching it. But Sophia can. And Valerie said that all you have to do is pause it until it's all downloaded/uploaded/whatever and then you can watch it without pauses. That's good.

And Skype works best when Sophia's computer is not on the network.

So, hooray! We stayed up late Friday night and wasted our weekend on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment