Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Birthday in Kazakhstan - Saturday, 7 November 2009


The Filipino teachers insisted that we celebrate Christie's birthday, which was fine by me. Christie made spaghetti for dinner, and she had Parmesan cheese (from Canada) and so Sophia ate two helpings. I think the other teachers brought cake, and Christie served tea and hot chocolate (also from Canada) after dinner.


We only stayed for a few hours, and left dishes for Christie to wash--what a birthday present!--but it was fun and we had a good time laughing. The two guy teachers and Sophia hit it off, being as silly as could be, with everyone else watching and laughing. Then they went into the other room, still laughing, and I had a good conversation with two of the teachers. I'm ready to visit the Philippines, and I hope that Sophia and I will be able to make it there at the end of the school year--but before July, when typhoon season starts.


We left around 7 pm, so some of the teachers could use my Internet connection before it was too late in the Philippines (the Philippines are two hours ahead of Astana). I guess the connection in their apartment--using my wireless or somebody else's--is not that great, and I had three people in my house using the Internet. I felt much better about having left Sophia with them for 4 hours--I've definitely given them more than 4 hours of Internet time. The good thing about being a foreigner in a strange country--foreigners stick together. You help me, I help you. It's definitely needed, and it's definitely appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment