Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Frozen River - Friday, 13 November 2009

Friday we did not do much, and it was nice to have a relaxing day. I found a web site that will show you bus routes, and I wanted to go to Republik Street. A parent had mentioned a clothing store on that street, and Lonely Planet recommends it for shopping. It's the main road in the old downtown.


Bus 2 appeared to go near there, and so around 4:00 we headed out. Bus 2 passed by our church, and we got off one stop over. I knew that Sophia wanted to see the iced-over river, and I knew we could get near it from here.


Again, we are from the Southern USA and all this cold stuff is quite new to us, and thus very fascinating. I have never seen a frozen over river. I spent quite a bit of my life doubting that such a thing could actually occur. This river was frozen.


It was quite beautiful. The river is located down a steep bank, and a moderate fence serves to keep people from not climbing down the bank. We walked by this fence, spotting animal tracks and marveling at the white river.


It had recently snowed, and the river was large and still and white.


We saw a few dog paw prints, a few human prints, and mostly we saw what we dubbed "the hop-hop prints" because some small animal (bird, most likely) had hopped to make those prints.


We crossed a bridge and continued walking, to some steps where we could go down closer to the river. It looked like a dog had run across the river, judging from the tracks.


Sophia really wanted to walk on the river, but I said no. Not until we are sure we can do it. (By this, I mean, not until someone else tells us that it is safe, and that someone is someone I can trust!)


I had to reach down and touch the river though--it was soft, powdery snow. Under the snow was rather solid ice.


The world at this moment was still, the air was crisp and silent, and we were alone by frozen riverside, surrounded by soft snow and a few animal tracks.


It was getting dark, so I made her return to the main road. We were starting to feel cold, and so we caught the bus home. One day I'll make it to Republik Street


I promised her that we would return.


No comments:

Post a Comment