Monday, November 23, 2009

European versus Traditional Toilets - Thursday, 12 November 2009

While at Duman for Sophia's birthday, Sophia and Irene went to use the toilets. Sophia came back to whisper that she needed me--they were those dreadful squatters, like the ones we had used at Atryom.


So I went with her, and when we entered the ladies' restroom, I noticed a sign, in Kazakh, Russian, and English. "Traditional Toilets" it said and pointed left; and "European-style Toilets" it said and pointed right. On the left were squatters (a bit cleaner than the ones at Artyom) and on the right were what I would call normal toilets.


Oh my goodness. You actually had a choice! Who would choose a squatter over a normal, sit-on-it toilet? We chose "European" of course.


Then we noticed that the ceiling, like the ceiling in the Filipinos' bathroom, is a mirror. While sitting on the toilet, you can look up and see yourself. You can also see the tops of other people in the restroom. Does this mean that someone washing their hands can look up and see my reflection as I'm using the toilet? Maybe so. I wasn't quite in the mood to go out and see if I could see other people using the toilet.


How odd!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment