Friday, December 18, 2009

So you're thinking about teaching internationally?

It has come to my attention that people I don't know just might be reading this blog, and that's wonderful! Just in case I have readership who's interested in teaching abroad, I thought I might post a few pointers... Or, rather, steal a few pointers.

What follows is a list that Valerie, the other American teacher at our school, has created and posted on her web site. Things to look for before signing a contract at an overseas school. Considering she's taught at 4 (or maybe more?) international schools, and that she admits that all schools have had their flaws but that this one takes the cake--she's quitting--I think her pointers might be useful.

To quote her:
"For the people who are new at all this. I have found when I have a phone or skype interview with a school I am not the interviewee I'm the one giving the interview. So just some important things to ask about not in any particular order.

1. How many foreign teachers work for the school?
2. How many foreign teachers have re-signed contracts for another year?
3. Can I have a foreign teacher's contact information? (Always try and talk to someone there before you sign anything...sometimes they might not give you the best information but over all this is a good way to get a feel.)
4. Is health insurance provided? If not, find out how much doctors' fees are!
5. Of course, salary? Overtime pay? Afterschool activity pay?
6. Will I be working weekends?
7. Ask about paid vacations!!
8. If I'm sick and can't work what happens?
9. Do I get transportation to and from school? If not, how will I get there?
10. Free airfare?
11. Accommodation...this is a big one...make sure it's furnished with everything from a bed to plates and silverware. (You don't want to buy all that stuff if you aren't going to stay long in the country.) Also is it shared or single? Do I pay utilities or does the school?
12. Cost of living...on average how much do other foreign teachers spend to live each month? (Then you can see if how much you will be able to save).
13. Will the school pay for all visa fees? Including translation of documents, police reports, medical examinations, etc.
14. How many students in a class?
15. What's the level of the students?
16. Will the school help me get language lessons for whatever language it is they speak there?
17. How long has the school been operating? (This is important...new schools are usually disorganized and hard work as the teacher resources are limited).
18. Is there a teacher resource center?
19. Is there teacher training? Paid or unpaid?
20. Is there an end of contract bonus? Or any incentive bonus?
21. Is so and so city safe?

I think that's about it...of course you will want to ask about the city a little more.

Make sure all these things you discussed are located and understood in the contract before you sign it. (Some schools can be shady and try to pull fast ones...like my current school...I am quitting my job b/c they lied to me on so many occasions and it's just an awful place.

Hope this is helpful."


My added points:

1) Don't assume that anything is real or official! Our school had a 22-page "Recruitment Handbook" that we downloaded from their web site, it is full of falsehoods. --Eg, there was a list of everything that would be in our apartments, this was not true. I still lack a bunch of basic kitchen items plus an ironing board because I've yet to go out and buy them myself (I will get reimbursed, however). I think that whoever wrote it was simply dreaming of what the school will look like in the future.
2) Get in writing anything that is the least bit important. In your contract is best. My contract says I work Mondays - Fridays, and here they have me working weekends. When Valerie brought up that our contract does not say weekends and that in some countries, you can take a school to court for this, we were told that the court would not side with her, that the admin. doesn't want to work weekends either, but they have to.
3) Basically, you can handle anything for a year, is my philosophy. Don't read this and get too scared to take a job. It's a good adventure, and I'm very glad I chose to move!


However, IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, some added points:
1) Ask how many children are foreigners. If you've been reading my blog, you've noticed how the foreign kids aren't treated too well. A school with a high percentage of foreign kids ought to do a better job handling them.
2) Ask how many teachers are foreign. What about the activity teachers and assistants? My child does not feel comfortable here because most of the staff does not speak English.
3) Ask about the teachers' experience and training in dealing with foreign children. Ask what the school does to help foreign children feel welcome. Just because it's an international, English-language school does not mean that foreign children will feel welcome there.
4) Get specifics on how your child will be provided for when you're working and school is out. This school thinks that as long as someone is in the building, my child is being watched. This is not good enough for me. I want my child to be supervised. I don't appreciate that they allow her to roam free in the hallways, and that she frequently gets lost while looking for me.
5) Ask about the level of English instruction and do they learn to read? Get specifics. For example, all of the children here are still learning English, and so they are not learning to read in English. My child skipped the 1st grade due to this, and is still very far behind in reading and writing. The school claims on its web site that children must know English in order to be accepted, and that they follow the British National Curriculum, but this is not true.

Once again, I'm happy that I accepted this adventure! If nothing else, this is a learning experience for Sophia and me, and something that will look very good on my resume!

No comments:

Post a Comment