Monday, December 7, 2009

Dance Update - Saturday, 28 November 2009

Sophia didn't go to dance the next day. Although I told the assistant in her class, the class celebrated a birthday. The assistant said they would go after. I was in a teacher's meeting, and when I came downstairs after it, I learned that Sophia had not gone to dance. She had no idea why. What fun it is to be in a school where you can't communicate. Sophia often has no idea what's going on. (And I wouldn't complain as much if this school didn't claim to be international and English-speaking.)

The next Monday she went to dance, and was so very happy afterwards. Wednesday also she went to dance. That Saturday we had school, so no dance. Friday, 27 November we went back to Artyom and I found a leotard for 1000 Tenge. I was quite proud of myself to be able to do that on my own. I knew to look in a sports store, and all I said was, "tanser" which is, I think, Russian for "dance" and the workers knew what I was asking for.

The black leotard they showed us not only fit Sophia perfectly and was identical in style to those of the other girls', but was also 1000 Tenge-- 1/3 of the price of the leotard in Eurasia. We also bought black dance shoes, to match the leotard. The secretary had thought that white shoes wouldn't match a black leotard, and I didn't want a white leotard, for fear it might end up being see-through.

Saturday morning, 28 November, we showed up for dance 10 minutes before 10, the time I had been told it would start. The dance room was locked, so we went to the teachers' lounge, where we found the dance instructor playing games on the computer. Around 10:15 she got off the computer and put on a game for Sophia. Then she left the room. I followed her and asked, "Kogda dance?" (When is dance?)

Oh, yes, she said, now, 10:00, and she waved Sophia on. I went with Sophia and the other girls--3 from my room who weren't with Sophia on the other two occasions that she had danced. Sophia's friend Irene was there too.

How strange. I am not sure about this system--is it just show up for a lesson if you so desire? Or are they grouped somehow?

However, Sophia is in dance, she does enjoy it, she has the proper attire, and so far, I haven't had to pay a dime (or Tenge).

No comments:

Post a Comment