Friday, October 30, 2009

Parents - Friday, 9 October 2009

Parents
I've been slowly meeting parents, as they come in between 4 and 5:30 pm, and often I am not in the room at that time. Today I talked to Jason's mother again, a very nice young woman who told me the name of a shop to buy Sophia's clothes, and gave me her number in case I needed help finding it. Timothy's mother was in the room for quite a while before he returned from whatever after-school activity he had. She watched me put up my numbers 1 - 20 and offered to help. I was very pleased to have someone help me. Her English isn't that great, and so we didn't talk much, but she explained to me that she teaches anatomy at a medical school.

I met a (the?) Turkish diplomat, his daughter is in 2nd grade, where I've been teaching math this week. In Christie's class, there is also a student whose father is a diplomat; he lived in Canada for a while and thus speaks English well.

The parents seem very friendly. Some speak almost no English, and thus prefer to talk to the Kazakh teacher. Valerie was complaining with one of her parents about how little English there is here. The children have more hours of Kazakh a week than of English! And far more homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment