Friday, October 30, 2009

Discipline - Friday, 9 October 2009

Discipline
Today I saw Valerie between 2 periods (they call them "lessons" here, but I've come to understand that they are similar to periods in American high schools and middle schools). She said that she had tried a fun activity for science--to take the children outside and have them close to their eyes and explore the world without the use of the sense of sight. However, the children were so unruly in the hallway that she marched them back inside and had them write instead. She said the Russian teacher had given her the thumbs-up, or some other sign that she approved. She also said she was going to talk to the principal about the discipline issue here (or lack thereof!)

So I decided that I, too, needed to take control of my class. During the 10 minutes between periods, the children run wild in the hallway, screaming, running, kicking, what have you. Then they run into the classroom behaving the same. Not today.

As they came running into my classroom, I ordered them out. OUT! Every one of them. Many did not understand and tried to push and shove past the children who were waiting outside by the doorway. The Kazakh teacher came to see what was the matter. I explained to her that everyone was going to stand out and that we were going to practice coming in quietly. She understood and helped me greatly, by translating all that I said into Russian. Rule Number 1, I explained, was "Come in quietly." This means no talking and hands to yourself.

I created quite a scene, loudly insisting that all the children stay in the hallway. The custodian stood by the whole time, watching wide-eyed. The Russian teacher watched, too, and I'm sure some others came by to see what was the matter.

I finally let the children inside. One child scream, and I ordered them all out again. The Kazakh teacher helped me translate why we were going back out.

It took about 3 or 4 tries, and it wasn't perfect on the last try, but behavior was better for the rest of the period. Whenever a child acted up--shouted usually--I ordered the child out of the room, and then brought the child back in. I had to ignore Alex and Matthew, and try to explain to the others to ignore them to, as I knew that the only way I would be able to get Alex or Matthew out was through physical force, and that is a battle I only want to start when absolutely necessary. Alex and Matthew weren't awful, and so I let them be.

Math was the last class, and I stayed in the room during the whole 10 minute break, monitoring the classroom activity. Several students remained during the break, working quietly, and for a while I thought I wouldn't have to repeat the morning's ordeal. But then the break ended, and kids came in screaming, and so, with the Kazakh teacher's help and the Russian teacher looking on, I ordered the kids out again. David screamed when I let them in, and the Russian teacher lectured him soundly. Finally, they all made it in.

This time, students who misbehaved were made to stand in the doorway for longer than a few seconds. Alex worked hard and fast and was very proud of himself. Timothy, who usually works hard in math and whose biggest problem is that he doesn't want to remain quiet while raising his hand, was disruptive. On the whole, however, it was the best class I have yet taught. For the end of the day on Friday, that's amazing whichever school you're at.

No comments:

Post a Comment