Thursday, January 31, 2013

Extreme Weather


This past December, 2012, was extremely cold. It got below -40º C (which is equal to -40º F). I wasn't the only person who commented on how unusually cold it was. A co-worker mentioned that it was strange that people were acting so surprised by the cold—it got this cold last year. However, I reminded her, it usually didn't get this cold in December! That was what was so strange! 

Now it is January, 2013. Last week the temperature got above 0º C (32º F). I was stunned when I saw the weather prediction for +3º C. I don't think it got that high, but I do think it got to +2. I couldn't believe it would get above freezing in January! I know it hasn't done that in my 3 ½ years here!

So I checked wikipedia. According to wikipedia, the record low for December in Astana is -43.5º C. The record high for January in Astana is +3.4º C. So this year we have come close to beating the record lows and highs. Wow!

The downside to the thaw is that a lot of snow and ice melted and then quickly refroze. It is incredibly slippery outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment