Friday, August 31, 2012

Buying an Apartment in Astana

No, I did not buy an apartment.  But I'm learning more and more about what it means to buy an apartment here, and I'm slowly beginning to understand crazy landlords just a little bit more.

In the US, when you buy an apartment, frequently it's unfurnished, but the appliances are there (oven, refrigerator).  There's also heat, electricity, walls...

On Sunday, I picked up my friend A. and went into her apartment for the very first time.  She lives with her mother, and they own the place.  It's a small yet tidy one-bedroom (no living room).  I asked her about it and learned that when they'd bought it, it had pretty much been an empty box.  The foundation and the exterior walls were there, that's about it.  No furniture, no appliances, no wiring, no bathtub, no walls.  Wow.

If you put that much work into a place, I bet you'd be a bit peculiar about renting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment