Thursday, April 1, 2010

TGI Friday's - 22 March 2010

After the Nauriz celebration, we decided to take bus 10, just because, which took us to the old downtown, Republic Street. It was getting late and Sophia was getting grumpy so we headed to TGI Friday's, which, as far as I could tell, was the real thing.

It really was TGI Friday's, with a focus on cocktails, and a menu in English and Russian. Some of the English was poorly translated. (The omelet comes "staffed" with cheese.) We found Sophia's favorite--fried mozzarella cheese sticks--but didn't have success on ordering pasta without any sauce.

Some kids were playing nearby so I encouraged Sophia to join them. To our amazement, the children spoke English and attend the international school where I'll be working next year! Sophia was quite happy to tell them that she'll be at their school next year. One little boy will be in 2nd grade with her next year. I talked to the parents. One was Finnish and one was Russian (and I forget where the other two were from--Canada or Britain, I think.)

So, 6 months spent in Kazakhstan and we've found American food. I don't mind eating local food, but it was nice to eat American for once. And I hope to return for the pancake breakfast one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment