Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring!

Nauriz (наурыз) is the Kazakh word for March, but it also means the special holiday that falls on 21st March, which is the first day of spring. It is one of their huge celebrations, and the schools' spring break falls during it.

Yesterday was the first day of spring, and I thought it was quite humorous that there is a huge amount of snow on the ground. After church, Sophia and I played in the yard in front of the church for quite some time. It was covered with snow; the paths had been cleared but the lawn was untouched. Sophia raced around on the snow, making soft foot prints, and I stumbled after her. I'm heavier, and my feet plunged much further down through the snow than hers. You can run when every step your foot plunges down about 1 or 2 feet. Snow was above my knees.

Sophia slid down some snow banks and I took pictures. It feels like spring--great weather to play outside in! And after one cold winter, we're still not tired of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment